Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Do you ever feel the anger boiling up inside you?

I consider myself a pacifist man. I have made oaths not to harm another, and yet I came so close today. I can't understand the stupidity of my gender how some can only feel good about themselves when breaking down others. They brag about their wicked deeds and minor accomplishments. It sickness me and brings sorrow into my soul. The incident I speak of was hearing one of these foul beasts bragging to another about some wicked deed he had wrought. I am known for being able to keep my cool, yet I lost it then. For the things he was bragging about, not just sins against himself or god, but against a friend of mine. I can't go into detail for that would also be wrong for me to do so. Let me just say it could be classified under "locker room talk". The anger and hatred built up inside me. I didn't just hate what he did, but I think I hated him for doing it. Without thinking I spun around and grabbed him by his shirt, twisting and pulling him close. Emotions can be related to water. If you dam it up it builds up pressure and when it finally breaks it is a mighty force indeed. I lost myself then, just for a moment but that moment was almost too much. I held him close with a clinched fist staring into his eyes, trying to rethink about what I should do. I opened and closed my free hand. Talking started to died down as people started to realize what was going on around them, yet I and the man I held in my hands where both in a sense of shock. I hated this man with the utmost contempt. For what he had done and for all those like him. It would be so easy to just let that anger out onto his chest and face. The problem is that my mind would not let me forget the promises I made and the books I have read. One of which was that one man can't harm another. Why? Well cause one always dehumanizes the other, which is kind of what I was doing. This was not a man I had caught but some demon. I would deal him a blow for justice. I had right on my side. God was with me right? right? The problem was that I don't get any inspiration to do such things. This was an action of passion. I had acted without thinking. I was in the wrong. People say it takes courage to do the right thing. Courage has never been the hard part, but the willpower for such actions. To fight for something is one thing, but to stand back and hold thy tongue when you wish to speak I think is much harder. I know not how long I held him there, but finally someone came up and placed their hand on my arm. They asked something but I wasn't really listening. I just then realized that I was holding him off the ground. Not much just about an inch or two but I am not a tall man and this man was easily taller then me in retrospect. The adrenaline that flows thru our veins in such times is really very impressive. I set him down and left with out saying anything. That may have been the wrong thing to do. I now have many grand things I think I could have said back then. Great speeches about doing what is right and virtuous, about how wretched his actions were. I could not however. I had just gotten my witts about me and it was all I could do to place him down and leave with a cool temperament.

14 Comments:

Blogger a man from Saipan said...

A man sometimes feels that kind of anger (and maybe a woman but that is not important) not just justify it though. Some a men feels that anger for himself. Self loathing.

It is when they brag that you know they don't regret it as they should. I don't get mad easy yet pompous hoser can always get me no fire easiest.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am proud of you that you grabbed him up, thus causing him to cease his vile talk, and i'm equally proud of you for putting him down and walking away. no words were really needed. he knows what he was saying was WRONG and he knows he was heard and your actions spoke volumes. even Christ himself braided a rope, drove out the money changers in the temple, overturned tables and told it how it was. righteous indignation, as you felt, is sometimes required. thanks for defending your friend. i know you will always defend me. that gives me peace :)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think its wrong to beat some one up because you are angry. but maybe its ok if its just for kicks? uhmmm. did he cough when you picked him up? did he flinch? trash talk?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

I'd like to point out that even when Christ overthrew the money changer's tables and drove them out of the temple He didn't cause any permanent damage.
Another thing, I'm glad you control yourself most of the time and that you don't get so out of control to harm another. I've done it myself and have had friends that do. It's scary from both sides.

5:21 PM  
Blogger E.Marie said...

Good on you. Not that violence is good or anything. That is bad and leads to alot of pain not just the physical mind you.
But there are very few gentlemen left in the world and very few who would defend a girls honor like that and that is definetley saying something about your character.
We all feel that anger boiling up way to often some of us control it well and then it gets lost on the wind. some just realise it when it comes. then there are some who let it get dammned up and explode once in awhile (that would be me).
So dont feel to bad we all feel it everyonce in awhile and at least you had enough control to stop yourself before it was to late(think of that)most people cant do that.
So I dont think any less of you and Im sure no one else does either. See ya later.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Judge of the Whetten's said...

I think I have lead you all a little astray. I said earlier that this page is no longer a jornal. This was just anthor random writing. Trevor was even there as I was writing it. It started with something a girl in our group said, then my imagation took contorl. I am sorry for any false ideas I have given you. Well not really I guess. I knew that it was going to be miss read and still I want people to read it. I mostly don't want to keep saying "This is not real" or "This didn't happen." Just know that every thing on here is fake unless I say other wise. Oh and person of the day is real.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah guys, it frightened me also to think that judge was "close" to hurting someone, but i asked him and he said that it was just something that he imagined. i find it kind of funny how fast all the comments came. it really doesn't sound like something
judge would do. there was a time when this story could have been related to my but now i only joke about this kind of thing because it is true, when you only go around bragging about who you beat up, you cant even call yourself a man (or a woman).

11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry guys first time at this

11:48 PM  
Blogger Amanda/Mandie said...

This story will well written. Amazing to point out thoughts going through one's mind as anger settles in. Also, I do hope that there are many men out there who would defend a woman's "honor." I find myself wondering if I would even defend a friend's honor. Blows my mind away....thinking about it.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Lois Sparks said...

nice judge! It drove me a bit scared to think you act that way at times, but hey...WELL WRITTEN! It's kind of realistic coz lots of people around the globe react that way when they're stirred up in anger. On the other hand, if it's for a friend, I'd very much appreciate that. A friend of mine back in High School did the exact thing you wrote when he heard bunch of guys making fun of me. I was there when it happened and it really touched my heart to see him fight for me. I wonder how many friends are like that in this world, I cannot say I'm one of them but I'm gonna try...

12:16 PM  
Blogger Judge of the Whetten's said...

I try not to cut the line of helping people at the friends mark. I think if a person will only help his friends he still has a long way to go. I also do not doubt my actions if a situation like this would have happened. I stood up for a few friends here already lucky with no side affects. The only one that was in public was Disney in the cafe. When he was just joking about one girl. I boldly told him to stop it and I wasn't going to listen to such things. Afterward I felt a little bad cause I said it in front of every one. I didn't like what he was saying but I also didn't want to embarrass him in front of everyone. I also think that a few guys here would easly stand up for the women folk if it came to that. Both Trevor and Justin I think would act, Derek I don't know that well yet but seems the up standing type.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Vasu Chetty said...

I probably would have popped the guy, but that's probably because I don't have the self restraint that you have. I feel ashamed sometimes, I don't stand up enough for what I think is wrong. Usually when a teacher tells a joke or something, I can't get up and reprimand someone when they're older and more respected. Especially when the class is laughing and I'm like sitting there thinking, "How is that funny? Why is he/she even joking about something like that?". I think it's mainly because:
1) If I do reprimand them then the class will be like, "It's just a joke" and I'll feel so sanctimonious.
2) I'll feel so hypocritical, I joke about things that I really shouldn't a lot of the time and just reading this blog makes me realise how much I could offend someone. Don't worry, it's never anything bad about girls, I mean come on - I stilled haven't even kissed a girl =S.

And Stuff,
~Vasu~

4:38 PM  
Blogger Judge of the Whetten's said...

Just because you haven't done anything doesn't mean you can't talk like you have. The term "Educated virgin" means someone that hasn't done the deed but knows allot about it. Most people that brag are just blowing hot air. Almost all so called locker room talk never really happened. Their big fish stories guys tell trying to impress their friends. On the other issue I find the best way to speak up in a situation like a class room is just at dumb. Raise you hand and ask something like "Wait, I don't get it. Why is that funny?" then go into why you aren't joining.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Vasu Chetty said...

I don't know a whole lot about "locker room" talk. All we ever talked about in the locker room back home was whether or not we had HW to do over lunchtime or whether we were playing soccer or basketball =S. And over here I never really talked to people while I'm in the locker room.

And Stuff,
~Vasu~

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home